FRENCH BUTTER PEAR GINGER SCONES WITH GLAZE
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Serves: 8 scones
2 cups all purpose flour
½ cup sugar, plus extra for topping
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter, cut into ½” pieces
1 large egg
¼ cup + 2 tablespoons heavy cream, plus extra for brushing
1 French butter pear, diced
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
½ cup powdered sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 425˚F and cover a tray with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine the dry mixture and add the butter. Using your hands or two knives, cut the butter into the dry mixture until the butter is in pea-sized pieces. Stir in the pears and ginger.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and cream together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the cream mixture. Stir until just combined. Transfer to a floured surface and quickly knead into a disc that is about ½” thick; careful not to overwork the dough. Cut into 8 triangle pieces.
- Transfer the scones to the baking tray. Bake for 12 minutes then remove the scones, brush with extra cream, return to oven, and continue to bake until the scones are golden; another 5 to 6 minutes. Remove and let cool slightly.
- Combine ingredients for the glaze in a bowl and stir until smooth, adding the extra tablespoon of lemon juice if needed to thin. The glaze should be on the thicker side and the warmth from the scone will help melt the glaze slightly. While the scones are still slightly warm, drizzle the glaze on top. Let cool completely before serving.