PEAR BLACKBERRY COBBLER
4 tablespoons butter
6 medium pears, stemmed and pitted, skins on, cut into sliced 1-inch thick (about 7 cups)
½ cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 ½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon pure almond extract
2 cup frozen blackberries*
1 cup flour*
½ cup almond meal or almond flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup milk (of choice)
¼ cup melted butter or coconut oil
Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the butter in a 12-inch oven-safe or cast-iron skillet to medium heat until it’s melted and lightly browned. Remove from the heat and stir in the sliced pears, sugars, vanilla extract, cinnamon and almond extract, until combined. Place the skillet in the oven and bake 10-12 minutes or until the mixture is lightly bubbly.
- In a large glass mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, almond meal or flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. Whisk in the milk and melted butter or coconut oil until it forms a batter (it will be slightly lumpy like pancake batter). Spoon the batter over the top of the filling. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar evenly on the topping.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until the topping is lightly golden brown.
- Optional: Turn the oven to a broil. Broil the topping 2-3 minutes or until the sugar is crispy and the crust is slightly darker.
- Allow the cobbler to slightly cool. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, if desired.
Created for California Pear Advisory Board by The Healthy Epicurean